Yippeeeee, It's Friday! Who's ready for the weekend?? (As I raise my hand....)
We are so excited to have Kacy Tatus as this week's Artist Feature Friday! Based in the Midwest, Kacy has really grown as an artist and continues to grow as her experience expands.
2 years ago, she won our first ever What It Takes Makeup Challenge with her "Wicked" themed entry. It has been so much fun to see her artistic abilities blossom ever since then, and we were super stoked to interview her about her experience as an aspiring artist. Let us start, shall we?
1. Tell us a little bit about yourself! (where you’re from, how long you have been doing makeup, etc.)
I'm from a small town called Fenton, MI but lately I've been living in between Michigan and Chicago, IL. I've been pursuing a career in makeup for about 3 years now. It all kinda started when I finally got up the courage to wear a full body paint to my job and the positive response was more than I ever imagined.
2. What do you do to keep yourself motivated as an artist during the tough times?
What keeps me motivated is realizing that I found the job that doesn't feel like work. It can be unpaid and many hours of work, but I know it still makes me happy when I see a finished product.
3. You won our “Wicked” themed makeup challenge with Christina Tracey as the judge. We loved what you did with it, it was so great! Tell us about the makeup!
The makeup for the Wicked Challenge I really wanted to show the transformation of
Fiyero Tiggular into the Scarecrow. As an all body paint look I wanted to make it pop and make people question what materials I used.
4. What are you working on now?
Lately I've been working a lot on independent film projects and photoshoots, trying to build my portfolio.
5. What are your favorite products?
My favorite products would be my go to's for most jobs which are Skin Illustrator alcohol pallets, Mehron Paradise paints, and Sugarpill eye shadows (The pigment is amazing).
6. Pushing yourself out of your comfort zone is so crucial. What advice would you give someone who might be timid about pushing themselves to do things beyond what they are comfortable doing?
As someone who has a little bit of an anxiety attack with every job I go on, my best advice would be to everyday try something you wouldn't normally do, even if its something small. I try to just talk to many different people to break down my shell. When you get to know people you realize most people have these insecurities too in one way or another.
7. What are your biggest goals as a makeup artist?
My biggest goals right now are building my portfolio, working on as many projects as I can and the big goal is to one day work on Star Wars or on a World War II film.
8. What is your favorite thing about being a makeup artist?
My favorite thing about being a makeup artist is there is always something new to learn and each job is different. New challenges keep it very interesting.
9. You attended the premier of our film, it was so exciting to see you there! What was your favorite part of the film?
I was so happy to be able to attend the What it Takes film premier. My favorite part of the film was hearing from makeup artists that I respect being completely real and honest about the struggles they had breaking into the business. As well as Amber's positive attitude when things weren't always going her way was really motivating.
10. What advice would you give to someone who is thinking about pursuing a career in makeup?
I feel becoming a makeup artist is something you really need to want, because it isn't easy. However if it's something that makes you happy just learn as much as you can and always keep working on something.
What great words of wisdom! We always love watching other artists grow and sharing these experience with our community. We all need to stick together and keep pushing ourselves to GO FOR IT! Right?!
Make sure you check out our documentary! You can purchase the extended DVD in our online shop, OR you can rent/download a digital copy here
Do you have a story you would like to share about your experiences as a makeup artist? We would LOVE to hear from you! E-mail us at email@example.com for a chance to be featured!